View Single Post
Old
03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
It's not play not to lose, it's sound strategy. Few years ago we didn't have that shutdown line, we rolled 3 strong scoring lines and won a lot of games 5-4. I don't think we have the scoring horsepower to cover. In order for this team to have any chance at beating the top teams we have to keep their top lines off the scoreboard.
True but the problem therein lies that the other lines aren't shutting down the other 3 lines of our opponent. The other issue becomes when the other team has two very good lines, like Chicago and San Jose, another line is going to have to step up as well and be good defensively. Also, come playoff time, we need to have our best players on the ice as much as possible as most teams are rolling 3 lines. Do we really want Smithson on the ice that much? Something has to give there at some point. We are giving away scoring on one line by having him out there. How many times do Legwand and Ward do something good out there only to be stymied by the ineffectiveness of the offense of Smithson? I'm all for having a shutdown line if the other lines do their job as well but I just don't that strategy working too effectively right now.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote