View Single Post
Old
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
lush
@jasonlush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
I think if Gillis could be honest, he'd say that he wishes he could have gone back on the deal with Schneider after the Ehrhoff trade went down. I don't remember the exact timeline but he had already committed to Schneider pending a physical, the Ehrhoff trade happened, and then he went through on the Schneider signing.

I'd rather he missed on a 7th defenseman on a one year deal than have a big miss that screws up our cap for 4 or 5 years, though.
I would probably agree with that. It was kind of goofy looking at our defense pairings at the start of the season because of all the players we had. Even stranger during training camp when Lukowich was still in the hunt for a spot.

Gillis knew we needed to improve the power play, he brought in Schneider and Ehrhoff to do that. If I had to chose between Ehrhoff having a great season and Mathie Schneider I'd chose Ehrhoff so whatever. Sometimes with these signings, the best way to go about them is to just double up and get more than you need. Let the players and the coach figure out who earns what.

Who knows what we would have learned in training camp had Schneider been healthy as well. Maybe he would have been shipped out on the same greyhound bus as Lukowich. That's the other part of the whole sequence of events. Schneider came in off that injury. So he passed a physical, that didn't mean too much. Maybe Gillis went down a bit of a bad road with Sundin in that he gave Mats so much time and such a long leash to join our team and get into proper shape that Schneider got the same deal.

I think it's fair to say Gillis probably learned something from the signing though, the Schneider money could have been spent on a better bottom 6 centerman but thus is the power of hindsight.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote