View Single Post
Old
03-10-2010, 08:47 AM
doakacola*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
One, America has hardly been dominating at basketball recently at the international level.

Two, the number of Americans in the NBA has actually been going down.

Three, the number of elite Americans relative to the total number of elite players in the league has been going down.

So thanks for the comparison, it definitely helps to make my point.

Anyway, there are all kinds of reasons why, reasons that any reasonable intelligent person could figure out.

One problem is that, in Canada, the emphasis is on hockey as a recreational sport, with a large portion of the resources devoted to ensure that as many people participate as possible.

If those resources were instead, directed solely towards the most promising athletes, then you might see the kind of result that you are looking for.

But Canadians are unwilling to change their attitudes towards hockey as a recreational sport, and are therefore unwilling to direct substantial resources away from the simple participation of their own children towards the more serious training of athletes.

For every "hockey parent" who wants their kid to be the next Gretzky, there are 20 who just want the kids to have fun.

Also, particularly in the last 20 years, competing attention for time is cited as a particular problem. Kids don't want to play hockey all the time, with TV, video games, the internet as distractions. The very "resources" you cite as a positive, in terms of the standard of living, are also a considerable negative.

Personally, I think another crop of "elite" Canadians is just around the corner. Any idiot knows talent is generally produced in cycles.

I'm just glad all of Russia's problems have clearly been solved because of their back to back victories at the World Championships. If only we could have been so lucky back in 2003-2004.

As I had made abundantly clear earlier, but which you apparently were unwilling/unable to read, changes to Canada's system took place within Hockey Canada following the 1998 Olympics. Meaning that, those players affected by those changes are around 10-11 years old. So give it a few years and let's see what pops out.
When the US sends its absolute best to the Olympics in basketball, its no contest. the disparity between the USA's basketball best and the rest of the world is far, far greater than the difference between Canada in hockey and the rest of the world.

In a one, three, five or seven game series, a team with James, Howard and Bryant
would never lose a game or be seriously challenged by any country, no matter how much they have improved. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote