View Single Post
Old
03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
The thing is they already have a pair of 1st line centers in Datsyuk and Zetterberg locked up for quite awhile and Filppula certainly looks like he could be a solid 2nd line pivot if given the job. Top line centers are just not really a hole on this team for the forseeable future. They need wingers impact defensemen most right now. If you look ahead for the next 3-5 years.....

Center
Datsyuk is signed 4 more years (probably re-signed)
Zetterberg is signed forever
Filppula is signed for 3 more years (he'll likely be re-signed)
Helm is going to be re-signed and should be here for the next 3+ years
* We're pretty well set at center with Emmerton being a potential bottom 6 pivot and Abdelkader being a potential 2nd/3rd tweener at center or wing. You've also for Andersson over in Sweden who is projected to be a Pahlsson-type 3rd/4th line center. Unless the plan is to move Zetterberg to the wing for the rest of his career the Wings just don't have any openings at center until 2014-15 at best IF Datsyuk falls off the table by then and I wouldn't count on that just yet.
Datsyuk is turning 32. Zetterberg is turning 30. When you take into account that a top-6 center draft pick will probably take at least 5-6 years to actually become a top-6 center in Detroit, the Wings don't have quite as much time as you'd hope. Yeah, for the next 3-5 years the Wings are fine, but what about after that? And I am talking about top-6 centers, so Helm, Emmerton, Abdelkader, and Andersson don't enter the equation.

How many potential top-4 defensemen do the Wings have outside of Detroit? I count 3-4.

How many potential top-6 wingers do the Wings have outside of Detroit? I count 5-6.

How many potential top-6 centers do the Wings have outside of Detroit? I count 0.

Your breakdown is thorough, but I don't think you are looking far enough ahead.

Last edited by jaster: 03-10-2010 at 11:09 AM.