View Single Post
Old
03-10-2010, 12:17 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Except he has never been physical...like at all. I'm pretty sure the only punch he's ever thrown, he managed to dislocate his shoulder on, and missed significant time. One of my only gripes about Gagne ever, was that he has decent size (not big, but not small by any means) and that he's really a pure finesse player. However, this is nothing new. He uses his speed, his shot, and his brains to make plays.
That's true, and I admit that I don't accept that as well as I should. I never was happy about his lack of physicality, but as he matured it became more bothersome to me. I guess when he was younger, I cut him a break for a long time because he was pretty small. But he's developed into, as you said, a decent size. Not big, but definitely not small, and clearly pretty damn strong on his skates. And while he does typically use his speed, his shot, and his brains to make plays....the brains don't seem to be all there lately.

I dunno, I just find him driving me more nuts than ever these days. He may never have been very physical, but he used to play the body more. I'm aware of the concussion issues, but for me there are still too many inexcusable instances of not taking the body. He almost never initiates physical contact. Sure, he'll take some punishment if he absolutely has to, but for christ's sake finish a ******* check once in a while. I hate that Carter doesn't finish his checks enough, and he does it about 10x more often than Gagne. And that **** that you see players like him and Briere do...that halfhearted bump into the player who just let go of the puck...it's a joke, they might as well not even bother. Another thing him and Briere have in common is the attitude with which they pursue opposing puck carriers on the forecheck. They both have that same approach where they skate towards the guy with their stick waving because it's what they're supposed to do. Just like they bump halfheartedly into guys who just let go of the puck because they're supposed to finish their checks. They don't come down into the zone and attack the puckcarrier with the belief that they can really steal that puck. They don't carry the mindset in that regard of Richards, Powe, Carter, Giroux, etc, etc.

Quote:
He gets a ton of PK time on this team for a reason. He always has...for a reason. And if he were on a team without a Betts and Laperierre, he would get even more. There is also a reason at the end of the game last night it was Richards, Carter, and Gagne on the ice to finish a 1 goal game. Also, If he truly were overrated defensively, I'm pretty sure 1 of his 6 (or was it 7) head coaches would have realized it and not played him as if he was a good defensive player.
I'll agree that he's ok on the PK, but I've never found him to be oustanding at it. And I'm not saying that he's not good defensively, or that he's not better than some of our other players. I'm just saying I think he's a little overrated as compared to people's general opinion of him. Flyers fans often talk about how he's one of the top defensive forwards in the game. I don't agree with that. There was a thread on the main board last year arguing he should've won the Selke. Laughable.

Quote:
I don't know what to say. I guess we are watching different things. My only complaint of Gagne recently was at the same tim Richards was struggling. They both appeared to be trying to do a bit too much, and thinking rather than reacting. But....that was a while ago, and since, both players have been great.
Well, I don't know what to say to you, if you think, for instance, that Gagne had a good game last night. I def agree about Richards, though.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote