Thread: Injury Report: Bernier out 4-6 weeks
View Single Post
Old
03-11-2010, 08:59 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I understand what you are saying, but they paid a premium in assets and salary for a 3rd liner, and from the way Gillis spun it at the time, they felt it was worth it because he was a top 6 player.
I've had this discussion a bunch of times so you'll excuse me if it sounds like I'm trotting out a bunch of points I've made before, it's because I am.

If you look at Bernier's spot on the depth chart he is a third liner but if you compare his scoring over the last couple of years (and to January 9th of this year) he is producing at a top six pace. There are only a handful of players in the league who get Bernier's ice time and outproduce him. There are however, a ******** of players Bernier outproduces while getting less ice time.

Pitseleh has pointed out that Bernier underproduces on the powerplay, which is true - although I would argue that he has improved somewhat at tipping the puck, and I would also make the point that the guy screening a goaltender with the man advantage is not going to get a point on a play where his screen prevents them from stopping a shot from the outside.

Quote:
I'd say poor pro scouting, and they probably could have gotten a better contribution off the UFA market (~$2m) and had two more prospects in the system right now. That 2nd would also have landed a better acquisition for the playoffs than Bernier will probably be.
As for the UFA signing - well, nobody planned to be paying Steve Bernier $2m+, but even without considering that who signed for the same or less that would have been better?

Mikael Samuelsson, Keith Tkachuk, Steve Reinprecht, Bill Guerin, Doug Weight, Ruslan Fedotenko, Chad Larose, Radek Dvorak, Petr Sykora, Todd Bertuzzi, Jason Williams, Travis Moen, Mark Recchi, Georges Laraque, Bobby Holik.. those are the kinds of guys you get for your $1.5-2.5m on the UFA market.

I don't like many of therm more than Bernier, not all of them fill the same type of role he does and I don't have much reason to believe the Canucks could've signed them to the same deals they signed with other teams.

As for the picks, you can't have it both ways. Either we have two future prospects, or we have one and a deadline acquisition. Perhaps we don't get as much of a contribution from Bernier in this playoffs as Ottawa, Washington, Buffalo and Boston get from theirs but ultimately only one of those teams is coming out of the East and they are all likely losing their new acquisitions come July.

Quote:
I understand your point about games played, but it's not like he was a huge part of the team's success. Someone has to play those games.
Didn't Bernier's teammates vote him the unsung hero of last year's team? By definition the winner of that award isn't going to have played a "huge" role but I'm willing to bet his teammates and coaches appreciate his presence more than the average Canucks fan seems to.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote