Thread: Injury Report: Bernier out 4-6 weeks
View Single Post
Old
03-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Agent007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Yes, I agree on this point. Sometimes you have to give a bit more for unrealized potential. If it doesn't hurt you, it's low risk and potentially high return. But it's quite clear from the quote Gillis considered him a top 6 forward at the time of the trade, and a PP asset, not could be, might be with the right training, when he peaks etc., and based on that alone, it's an overpayment.
I agree as well that the risk was worth it. If he can at the very least develop into a decent third line player (he's got 20 goal 40 point upside) then we'll at least get a 2nd round pick back for him if we do decide to trade him away.

Guys like Bernier tend to get picked up at the trade deadline for a 3rd maybe even a 2nd round draft pick. We gave up 2 picks to get him but if we do need to trade him away we should be able to get at least a 2nd or 3rd back for him which makes our cost for Bernier basically a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick and for what he's provided us so far it's not a bad return.

I agree it hasn't turned out to be a great trade by any means but at the same time the potential is still there and who knows perhaps Gillis will be able to package Bernier in some deal and get us an even better asset.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote