View Single Post
Old
03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
about 15 years ago you could say the area surrounding Philips was a bad area, however due to improvements and gentrification initiated by the Olympics and investment into the downtown area, you could call downtown around Centennial Olympic Park alot less sketch than it used to be. Yes there are still crackheads and homeless than panhandle outside of Philips but it is nowhere as bad as the area around Turner Field in the summer during Braves games. (that bridge you walk under if you park on the west side of the field is sooo sketch/sad)

Since I've lived my whole life inside the perimiter I can only really speak for that area but I'll say this:

to the black community Atlanta is called "Black Hollywood" due to the fair amount of affluent blacks that live in the city, however they have yet to assimilate into the "old south" status quo that predominates neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Brookhaven, Buckhead, Va highlands,Vinings, Oak Grove, Dunwoody or Sandy Springs. They mostly live in areas like Lithonia, Stone Mountain, Sw Atlanta, and OTP Mcmansion neighborhoods which you see featured on "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" where alot of Rappers (lil Jon, Ludacris), Football players, and Hawks players live. Thats not to say some prominent black athletes live in prestigous neighborhoods in Buckhead or elsewhere, Dikembe Mutombo has a house on North Side Drive in Buckhead as does Akon.

Atlanta is a diverse mix of white ATL/southern natives, blacks, and transplants. In my area there aren't many black people, but if you go further South or South East, whites become a very small minority. Its basically the nature of Atlanta as it is a very segregated city, and as more affluent professionals move intown, poorer blacks will get pushed to the fringes of the city. If you are African American in Atlanta, basically the only way you will assimilate into Atlanta high society is if you are a professional with a college degree, if you don't chances are you will probably be working a menial service job somewhere. Sad but the truth, but its like that in alot of cities. Despite what I Said, alot of strides have been made in terms of integrating black and white demographics as alot of prestigious ATL private schools (paidea, Woodward,Marist, Greater Atlanta Christian, St. Pius X, even Lovett) are admitting more minority students each year.

Regardless Atlanta is my home, I've lived here my entire life, I couldn't fathom living anywhere else unless it was a ski town out west; Its the most awesome city in the world; Awesome Foliage/vegetitation, good nightlife, great shopping, good looking southern females, scenic/quaint neighborhoods(espt NE dekalb county, Decatur, Druid Hills, Oak Grove/N Decatur, Va Highlands, Little 5 Points Inman, Park, Buckhead, Brookhaven, Dunwoody etc)everything you would ever want in a city.
i'm not sure what the hell this was about but it actually made sense