View Single Post
Old
09-27-2003, 06:00 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
The Original Lindros Deal - A Retrospective Look

This was brought up in the NHL main board when discussing the biggest trades that never happened. The question is, which deal would the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalance franchise have been better off taking when they deal Eric Lindros. There is a little uncertainty about what the Rangers offer originally was. I'm going by the information I got from this article:

http://www.freep.com/sports/wings97/pg6drop30.htm

According to the article, the offer's were as follows:

From Philly:
Peter Forsberg, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duschene, Mike Ricci and Ron Hextall. 1 first round pick and $15 million in cash.

From the Rangers
Tony AMonte, Doug Weight, Alexei Kovalev, James Patrick, John Vanbiesbrouk and $20 million in cash.

As a note, the Philly were forced to throw in Chris Simon and a second first round pick based on the arbitrators decision. I am only considering the initial offer, so it's not considered in the deal.

Evaluate which deal would have been better with the information we know now about how the players developed. Obviously, Forsberg developed better than anyone though, but the three forwards in the Rangers deal were all among the league's elite at some point in their career.