View Single Post
Old
03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshin29 View Post
A little sarcasm there..... your dancing around the issue. Do you think legwand deserves anywhere near 4.5 mil?
Well, let's say this. If you'd trade Legwand for Horcoff and his $5.5 million salary then yes. Overall though, I don't think I would've paid him that much money but at the same time, I would've given him $3.5-4 million per season. Here's the thing, we expect him to put up offensive numbers with Ward, a guy who almost put up 40 points in his first full NHL season and Jerred "Stone Hands" Smithson who is what, a 30 point guy at best? I just checked, 16 points as his best season. Legwand is asked on a nightly basis to play a defensive role and shut other teams top lines down. For the most part, he does that job well. You don't need to be a heavy hitter to do that job, you need to be positionally sound. He is finally getting some PP time again here lately and his numbers should improve because of that. If you put Legwand in a role with skilled players, his numbers would be there but his role is determined by the coach, not by him so to judge him on what you expect as opposed to what Trotz and Poile expect out of him is unreasonable. We're fans and we love to nitpick, I've done my share of it but we have no idea what Trotz asks of him on a nightly basis. If it's to shutdown other teams top lines he does that job as well as anyone else in the league. Is it his fault Poile offered him that kind of contract? If you were him would you say to Poile, hey, I'm gonna be a shutdown center, that's too much money for that sort of thing, pay me less so it's fair to the team. just sayin'