View Single Post
Old
03-15-2010, 07:50 PM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshin29 View Post
That's why you draft a player.... his projected future and intuition. And in this case both were off.
So how many GM's were wrong about Weber? All of them. How many were wrong about Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg? All of them once again. Go back and look at every draft and all of them have their great stories and their busts. Is Legwand a bust because he hasn't put up monster offensive numbers? Maybe, maybe not. Look at two guys in the sixth round that year, Andrei Markov and Datsyuk. Who would've guessed that you'd have two all-stars at that point in the draft. Just because a guy puts up monster numbers in the juniors doesn't mean his game translates to the NHL. Has Legwand been a productive NHL player for the last 10 years? I'd have to say yes to that. Has he been pretty consistent that entire time, I'd have to say yes as well. Look a guy like Tanguay, great early on but would you want him now? I wouldn't. Gagne has been pretty decent but I don't think he's been better or worse than Legwand and he was passed on by 21 teams in the first round. Gomez was skipped over by 26 teams.

There are gems in every draft and there are busts. A guy is a bust if he never makes it to the NHL. Poile has had one in Finley that has done that. His record of drafting guys that can play in the NHL has been pretty good. I'd go back and look at percentages of other teams and their success rate of number 1 picks playing the NHL but I really don't have the time or patience at this point to do so. I'd say that Poile's is probably right up there with the best of them.