View Single Post
Old
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
if you're gonna give Poile crap for Witt(deserved) and Forsberg(not really that bad in retrospect, since we recouped the 1st rounder and Parent isnt panning out, and Upshall is still fragile as heck) Dumont(to be determined, and offset somewhat by the great value we got for him the first two years) and Legwand(obviously debatable) then you should at least give him credit for Ward, Ellis, and Buillon(all obtained for nothing whatsoever), not to mention Rinne(8th rd) and Hornqvist(6th rd)

I also think its way too early to say if phoenix has built a permanent contender or if this is a one year flash in the pan.
I would say Ward and Boillion were decent. By his own admission, he didn't expect Ward to make the NHL. It was kinda of "look what I found" situation. I think Trotz does a great job of turning role players into a something more, and some of that is out of default, because we have big holes in our lineup.

Drafting is a hard area to give credit and blame. Poile makes the final call, but the person who deserves most of the credit a guy like Hornquist is our Swedish scout.

A GM usually has most influence on the 1st rd pick. Those are players that our heavily scouted, at times by the GMs themselves. Overall, our 1st round record has been about average IMO.

Too see all my thoughts on Poile, see the latest thread. I got it out of my system