View Single Post
Old
03-16-2010, 01:44 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
SJ for one. They had an opportunity to get Thornton cheaply, and went for it. Sure, they haven't won it all, but they have built a lot of excitement in a non-traditional market. Also a great trade for Boyle. Mixed in with some good drafting and depth moves, and they are sitting pretty.

Within San Jose's first 11 years of existence, they made it to the 2nd round 4 times. I honestly believe that's why they were able to make hockey work in a non-traditional market.

If we had had success in the playoffs, I think our fanbase would be stronger, and hence, a bigger budget to work with.
I figured youd say San jose but if you count San jose as a "great" team but they havent got out of the second round I dont see how us not getting out of the first round is that much worse.

so you have one team that has made multiple "big" moves and still cant get any farther than they did after making the first of those moves (thornton). doesnt sound all that great to me, and they are in cap trouble, plus I have no idea if they have much left in the draft picks or prospects department after making all those trades.

other than that, all the recent "rags to riches" teams have improved mainly via the draft (Chicago, Pitt, Wash, LAK, and even before that Vancouver and Anaheim, who both used to suck mightily but are now contenders year in and year out)