View Single Post
Old
03-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
I don't play dirty so your assumption would be incorrect. Making a clean hit to counteract a dirty play is fair game in all of the leagues I have played in. My question is where is it's place in pickup. Hockey is hockey and it seems there are some of the same problems at all levels. Does a stick in your face mean less if you are a beer leaguer or an NHLer? Why would a clean hit be uncalled for in the same manner as a dirty hit. We are not talking about intent to injure. We are talking about teaching guys boundaries in hockey.
I don't think it has a place in pick up. And I wasn't saying you were guilty of dirty play. I was saying you were someone who elevated the physicality of the game to a point where guys can get hurt. I don't think that's acceptable at pick-up hockey, but you're not the only one doing it and I understand how it gets there.

It basically sounds to me like you need to get the guys to understand that at pick-up hockey the priorities are a bit different since it is essentially practice in the form of a game. For most guys I think the priorities are something along the lines of:

1: Respect each other's safety
2a: Have fun
2b: Work on your game
3: Win the scrimmage

If play gets spirited and everybody is hustling and back checking and flying all over......that's great! But people shouldn't lose perspective.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote