View Single Post
Old
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Nope, I'm dead serious. They have a big fan base, and they are making hockey work in a non traditional market.

The Sharks also have over 6 million people in their metro area and Nashville has 1.6 mil. I think Poile has done a pretty good job in a tough place to build a hockey franchise. It's not a traditional market, has had ownership issues, doesn't have deep pockets. He built a team from the back line out. The Preds have arguably the best young defensive corps in the NHL. They have some defensive potential in the AHL. All in all up to this point I think he has done a good job.

With that being said, building a new franchise and maintaining a franchise are 2 different things. He has to continue to keep this franchise on the move upward. Not just for the fans but for the players around the league to want to stay in Nashville and come to Nashville. It won't help anyone if they groom Suter and Weber to win championships with different teams. They can't bring in big names by opening big pockets so they have to offer something else. A chance to win and a great place to play.

So in answer to your original statement I vote good so far but on the ledge right now (next few years) of taking it one way or the other. Hopefully he takes it the right way and really solidifies this franchise.