View Single Post
Old
09-27-2003, 07:12 AM
RIWhaler

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RIWhaler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
I agree, but we still got to be realistic. We have zero offence(Audette scares me agian this year, our defence is still a question mark(if Traverse and Dykhuis play again were done) and Theo is a wild wild card. Right now its only speculation. Its only preseason and it doesn't matter even if we don't we one game. But the offence was not there last season and we did zero to get better, sure 1 or 2 rookies might be in the line up but the veterans are getting older and slower.
My sentiments exactly. I admire the optimism of fellow board members, but to even entertain the notion that this team is going to suddenly click come the regular season is simply foolish. Again, I'd love to eat my words. But as Zednik20 said, this team did NOT bring in any additional offensive firepower. The younger guys will need a few years to solidify their legitimacy - if they're not traded away by then. Our defense may be respectable (may being the operative word), but you still don't win in this league scoring a goal or two a game. Sorry, folks. I don't care how good Theodore is this year.

This team has been rebuilding for a good seven years now. I was talking with a friend yesterday, and he actually compared this franchise to the Calgary Flames (in recent years). I never really thought of the Canadiens' plight being quite THAT bad, but the lack of any significant improvement since 1996 (as in Calgary) makes that comparison striking.