View Single Post
Old
02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Holy crap, are you ever overrating Marleau and McLaren. No offense, but your comparisons are ludicrous. Perhaps the most ludicrous post in this entire thread, and that's saying alot. The truth is, this deal would not improve the Habs in the present. It would perhaps improve the Habs 3 or 4 years from now, but there are so many variables that that improvement may never come, so to say it badly favours the Habs is ridiculous. I don't really see a good reason for either team to do this deal.
No offense, my friend, but I think you are one being ludicrous here and (as is sometimes case) you are vastly overrating the desirability of Hab players to other teams. Rivet is basically an expensive #4 maybe even not that on a good team, and he'll be an UFA when the current contract expires. And Koivu (who is still grossly overrated by Hab fans), had two good seasons in the NHL and several mediocre seasons, is still walking band-aid, he'll be an UFA at the next contract. Marleau, on the other hand, is one of the better young centers in the league and he would be (by far) the best forward on the Habs. I'm certain that San Jose would laugh at a Koivu and Rivet offer for Marleau. In fact, that offer would not begin to come close to getting it done.

As for Mclaren, the Sharks basically traded a #1 and more for him a few seasons back (given that Jillson was still considered a hot shot prospect, who had been picked on the first round). Since then, McLaren has gotten past his contract problems, and shown himself to be a useful dman. Of course, like Koivu, his injury history is still problematic. But, I see little reason to think that his market value is a lot lower right now. He probaby is not worth a high first rounder, but I think a later pick from a (likely) .500 team like the Habs is more than reasonable.