View Single Post
Old
09-27-2003, 08:34 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Editor
I think the Rangers offer looks better, but I'm not sure how it would have worked out. IMO two of the biggest parts of Colorado's success were Roy and Forsberg.
It is very tough to argue with the success that Colorado has had, so it's tough to pick another trade offer over the one that built their franchise. I think it would have been great if the Nordiques could have won a cup. Quebec fans had to endure a lot during the bad times, and the people in Colorado have gotten the benefit. However, all the cups that the franchise has won has been influenced by their move. There is no way that they could have traded for Roy while still in Quebec. Montreal would have never traded him there, plus Quebec would have been hesitant on the contract.

Their second cup involved trades for Bourque and Blake. If the team stayed in Quebec, they likely wouldn't have been able to take on the salaries of those players.

I think the chances of winning a cup or two while in Quebec would have been better with the Ranger trade. However, these cup wins would have kept the team where it was (at least for a while longer), which would have hurt the team in the longer run, because of the lack of funds. It's really tough to guage what is the better outcome: More success in a new city, or less success in the same city. I would take the latter, because of my sympathy for the Nordique fans.