View Single Post
Old
03-17-2010, 02:21 AM
CloakroomCrusader

vCash: 500
I didn't read all of this thread, but I really think you can look at the one "aggressive" move that Poile has made. Or at least the move that would make a splash like the OP seems to want. The Forsberg trade is as far as you need to look.

We give up a 1st (which admittedly we got back, but it's not like that was part of the original plan), a 3rd, easily our best defensive prospect at the time in Parent, and Upshall. Upshall is performing fairly well nowadays for Phoenix, granted he clearly wasn't working in Nashville's system (much like Peverley).

What'd we get in return? We get Forsberg, who created a HUGE increase in attendance that year, and consequently earned this franchise some serious money. But basically we get him for 17 regular season games where he scores 2 goals and 5 playoff games as we get bonked early by the Sharks. So we get a 1/4's worth of a season from one player while, at the time we were giving away 4 players. All for another first round exit.

This to me is proof enough that the so-called "aggressive" move is not the one that always works. I'd much rather, with the cash-strapped situation that we as a franchise are in, take the "slow and steady wins the race" approach. I'm more than content to be the tortoise of the NHL if we make the playoffs consistently for the next 5-10 years while making a run in only a few of those seasons. Let's face it, we just don't have the money to compete with the Chicagos (who will be in a world of hurt next year because of their own "aggressive" moves) and Washingtons of the league.