Old
03-17-2010, 07:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I never understood how some guys got past the draft. Like gilroy and as I understand it wellman.. Were they in a draft class and never taken annd subsequently free agents who continued playing in sschool
It's not a stupid question.

It just depends on their development. Like Gilroy for instance, was a tiny forward when he came to Boston U. He couldn't make the team, so he switched to defense and made it as a non-scholarship walk on. Sometime during the next couple of years he had a major growth spurt, giving him NHL caliber size (height at least). But to that point, he wasn't any type of prospect, and accordingly was never drafted.

He had a terrific junior season, and was now on the radar of NHL GMs and scouts. Since he was no longer draft eligible, he was a free agent able to sign with any team. He had offers from NHL teams after his junior campaign but elected to return to school for his senior season. He was again great, won the Hobey Baker Award, and again received contract offers--choosing us.

As far as Wellman, I have no idea, I don't know anything about him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote