View Single Post
Old
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Actually, those two exploded out of the gates. They had no struggles or adjustment periods. So they might not be the best examples.

However, as far as Russian players go... those two are rarities, as is Datsyuk... there are Yashins, Kamenskys and Kovalevs, all of whom had 80-90 pt. potential, and were reliable 65-75 pt. guys, but they had no hearts.

Then there are Kostitsyns, Zherdevs and (maybe) Filatovs that play a purely technical game to which the NHL isn't conducive (shame, 'cause they have top-notch hands, feet and vision).

Grachev has the intensity it takes, like Ovechkin. It's different, and clearly not to the same degree, but he is also physically dominant. In fact, in that regard he is very much like Malkin--not a bruiser, but he knows what it takes to play NHL hockey.

Could still fizzle out, but then so could Anisimov. I still think be will be on a spectrum of anywhere from Antropov to a bigger Semin.
And don't forget...A LOT of Russian players have already played at the professional level before they come over here. Grachev is in his first pro season in only his second season in North America.

My question is (and admittedly I don't watch the Pack a whole lot, just sometimes on the internet when I have a night off from work and the Rangers aren't playing) does Grachev play with Locke? Does he have someone that can actually be a playmaker for him and get him the puck the way Duchene did in Brampton?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote