View Single Post
Old
03-17-2010, 11:55 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I think that not making moves are just as good as the moves you can make. Trading Hamhuis at the deadline I think would've been a mistake unless we got a player in return that could've helped right now. Philly was offering picks and we wanted Coburn and possibly Parent. Parent alone wasn't worth it but if we landed Coburn it would've made sense but since Philly didn't want a rental for a RFA of theirs, the deal didn't happen. The time to trade Hamhuis was before the season started but in doing so, we would've had to rely on Franson and Sulzer as a third pairing and used Klein and Bouillon as our second pairing. That would've made our depth very shallow as Yonkman, Blum and Laakso would've been the only three ready to go. We added Grebeshkov at a small cost and in reality, is Hamhuis's replacement if he decides to leave. Grebs is restricted so we really have the choice of what we do with him. If he's re-signed or Hamhuis is, we have one hole on the blue line to fill with Sulzer and Blum ready to duke it out or we end up keeping both of those guys and we have depth.

Poile took a risk in keeping Hamhuis but he also stated, he's in it this year to win in the playoffs and by keeping Hamhuis, he knew we stood a better chance of making it to them first and then having a shot at winning once we're in. He said, Dan, we win, we will have the funds to keep you. Well, if Dan and his wife really love it here, his play I bet is going to pick up some because, one, he wants to win and two, he wants to stay here. By keeping Ellis, he also knew that he would lose him in the offseason but reality is, Rinne is the goalie for the next 2 years after this one is up. He had to make a choice between Ellis and Rinne and chose Rinne. If Ellis leaves as a free agent, I wish him the best and he's been a great team guy for us here and I hope he gets to start somewhere. He's a very good goalie. The other reality is, you will lose guys to free agency every year. It's part of the way the NHL is made up but we also have the ability to sign free agents as well.

Last year we lost Nichol, Fiddler, Ortmeyer, Bonk and deVries to free agency, retirement or going overseas. We picked up Goc and Bouillon. We have added Hornqvist and Wilson thru our farm system. Our penalty kill has suffered because of their losses but at the same time, I think our even strength play is much much better and we have the ability to run 4 lines on any given night. If we lose Ellis, Dekanich may be given a shot to be the back up or we bring in a veteran back up cheap next year and give Rinne the bulk of the work load. I'm ok with that. If Hamhuis leaves, Grebs is probably re-signed. If Hamhuis is re-signed, Grebs is probably gone in a trade or we may re-sign him too. Who knows. Bouillon may leave as well. I think one of those three if not 2 of them are back. If 2 are back, we have our top 6 for next year with the elite pair, Klein and Franson as the other two. If only one is back, Sulzer, Laakso and Blum fight it out for the 6th spot next year. I am comfortable with any of those possibilities too. Turnover is part of the team. I'd love it if we could keep Hamhuis around for a long time. He's a solid player that eats up a lot of minutes, has been durable throughout his career and is good at going up against the top lines night in and night out. He's also a home grown product and you hate to see your boys go to another team.

Does Poile play it safe, sure he does. Does he keep the team competitive year in and year out, sure does. Would I like to see us do more damage in the playoffs, I would love it. Deals have to make sense to both sides involved. I just don't think there were that many deals to be had this year that would've worked for us. I remember looking over rosters before the deadline and possible partners and honestly, most of the deals made no sense to me if we were to trade Hamhuis or Ellis. I just didn't see how any move involving either of those two would've made us better without making us worse at the same time in some other aspect of the game. Poile sent a message to his team with the moves he made. They weren't big or bold but they were solid moves in building depth for this season and beyond.