View Single Post
Old
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
Very encouraging. In principle, I want to see him go back to Minnesota for his junior and possibly his senior seasons, so that he can continue to get ice time. Gord Miller always says that nobody has ever been ruined by playing that final year in junior, and I believe the same applies to college. But I don't know if Jordan was going to develop in college, especially since the UMinn program seemingly took a big step back this year.

I watched him play at the World Juniors, and to be honest, I expected more. He wasn't terrible or anything. He played well. But as a guy who has been excellent offensively in the previous two years, I thought he'd be one of the top offensive players in the tournament. He was not. Like I said, he was really good, but not an offensive force. Then again, he didn't have to be a force. In 2008 and 2009, the U.S. had the line with Schroeder, van Riemsdyk and Colin Wilson, but they didn't have a lot of depth. This year, they had tremendous depth, and Schroeder didn't have to carry the offence.

I think he's a Mike Cammalleri type of player - a skilled, small scorer who was passed on by several teams because of his size. Much like Cammalleri, patience will be needed. Schroeder's going to learn the hard way that what he did in the U.S. development program, and in college, won't work in the pros, especially in The Show. He might need two years in the AHL. Once he gets hit hard a few times, he'll figure it out. He'll be an impact player offensively in a few years.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote