View Single Post
Old
03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Patrick Sharp is also not a huge upgrade over David Legwand.
So is he an upgrade? I'd take Sharp for Legwand in a heartbeat.

Bottom line- I think you agree he's overapaid. So, there's really not much to disagree about here, excpept by how much he's overpaid.

Sure, he scored 27 goals in his contract year, but that doesn't really justify us paying him for 10 goals @ 4.5m this year. A good GM anticipates how a player is going to play in the future. With Legwand,he'd never scored over 20 goals until his contract year, after 8 years in the league. He'd never played with assertiveness in his game, until his contract year. Was it a safe bet he was going to continue a trend upward after 8 seasons in the NHL? Pretty risky IMO, and Poile decided to take that risk for 6 years.

I think Rene Borque is great comp for Legwand. Good "two way" player who had a semi-breakout year last year, and it's a having a really good year this year (his contract year). He gets 3.3m.

Kesler just signed a 6 year contract under 5m. He puts up points consistency in a secondary role. He wins battles all over the ice, a traits that means even more when the playoffs (or Olympics) come around. He's great defensively. That's the kind of two player who should be getting 5m, IMO.

Last edited by dulzhok: 03-19-2010 at 10:53 PM.