View Single Post
Old
02-07-2005, 11:13 AM
LordHelmet

vCash: 500
I started playing three years ago and it took me a while to learn to stop. My problem was that I couldn't get the blades to slide, all they'd do is dig in and throw me into a turn. The harder I tried to slide, the more my edges dug in and the farther I got from stopping.

I took a clinic and pulled one of the coaches aside. I asked him what I was doing wrong. He watched my try one stop and immediately said; "Easy, you're putting everything on your inside edge. Flatten your edges out.." I tried it again - I did the same hard turning motion but rolled my ankle upright a little more. This way, I was on both edges of both skates equally, and I got a little bit of a scrape.

It took about 3-4 hours of practice, but after that I had good stops going in both directions..

So - long story short - stopping is all about your edges. Don't just load up on the inside edge. To me it feels like I'm rolling my ankle outwards so that the skate is more vertical. When I first figured it out, it felt weird, but now it's second nature..