View Single Post
Old
03-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
In the end, the Flyers only reached the Stanley Cup final once from that rebuild, and didn't even win a game. The Flyers ended up with some great players, but it's tough to say the five years out of the playoffs was worth it. Because it wasn't.
Yeah, but that's because the Flyers flushed that rebuild down the toilet with the Lindros trade. They have never formulated a long term plan and stuck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I find it hard to question a team's desire from behind a TV screen.
Your mileage may vary, but for two years in a row this team does not put in the required effort it takes to win a championship. Yes, this team has holes, but they'd be a lot better this year and last if they didn't feel they could coast by on talent so often.

To illustrate how mediocre they've been they are currently on pace for 89 points which is pitiful. Any other year they'd be sitting in the 9th or 10th spot, but the whole East is mediocre which allows a team that gives a half-assed effort like the Flyers to skate by. If they were in the West they don't even make the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Who are you calling out here?

- Carter, the guy who's spent 2 summers in a row in the weight room and has turned himself into a great 2-way player?

- Richards?

- Pronger?

- Kimmo?

- Gagne?

As far as I'm concerned, these guys have the desire to win, the problem is that the team assembled (specifically the 3rd line and G) isn't good enough to win it.
I am not calling anyone out specifically, but collectively as a whole they don't have what it takes, IMO. They don't give half-assed efforts because they lack a 3rd line C. Goaltending is an eye sore now, but they were given adequate goaltending throughout the season. The problem right now is this team has been trying to coast by on talent alone since the Olympic break. It has been a running theme for two years and has lasted through a coaching change. It's time to question whether this is the right mix of players.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote