View Single Post
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by MURedHawk View Post
Very good replies so far.

Another thing that creates this kind of talent is the positive feedback and encouragement by the parents to play the game correctly. When you have parents who can watch their son or daughter play the game of hockey and do all of the RIGHT things correctly and give high praise no matter what the score sheet says, you will have more of those RIGHT things happen. Not many parents will give negative feedback to their kid for scoring a goal that should have clearly been an assist or an end to end rush that should have been a pass way back in the defensive zone.

I have not met too many parents who truly understand that overhandling the puck is poor hockey. The belief is usually "My son has the skill to do it, so I will not discourage him not to do it" I don't care how great a player is, no coach at ANY level wants a player that overhandles the puck. NHL, Jr A, College, coaches want players who can play the game simple with creativity.

In the case of the player you mentioned, I would not be surprised if his parents are giving him very high praise for everything you see him do. And that high praise and encouragment I am sure started from the very first time their son stepped on the ice. (It takes very smart parents to encourage their son to share the puck with lower skilled players at 4 years old but I am sure his parents enjoyed watching him be a little playmaker even though the vast majority of the passes were never converted to goals)

Outliers is a great book and I do agree with a lot of what Malcolm Gladwell says. I see a lot of what he writes about first hand
That is all correct ... he is a good mannered kid as well and polite. That in itself these days is a miracle. His parents must have been around and taught him manners instead of letting the TV be the babysitter and the microwave oven his cook.

He was just making so many good plays and tried to make others and couldn't simply because the teen kids were twice his size or even more and a lot stronger. He obviously dominates his own age group. He never got mad, never looked at the ceiling in disgust and realized when you play hockey you cannot always do what you try and it is okay. he actually stopped on the puck! Do you believe that? I hardly see anyone do that at any age outside of organized hockey.

The calmness he had about him was so awesome to see.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote