Old
02-09-2005, 09:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
it was when slats blew the original Jagr deal, traded for Lindros (which I don't think there is a ranger fan who wanted him) and then was compelled to get Bure. Getting Jagr would have changed the direction of the club in terms of personnel. In 97, the team was still close. The mistake was signing Skrudland and Keane to form the nucleus of a checking line with Sundstrom and allowing Messier to walk and not replacing him. After that season was when the rebuild needed to occur and it did. Only problem was we drafted 3 straight #1 stiffs. No organization recovers from colossal blunders of that magnitude. Add to it the mistake that was John Muckler.
Wow, I completely see it the other way.

1) Sather did not blow the original Jagr deal. The Pens wanted Dvorak (fresh off a 30 goal year) and Kloucek as starting points for Jagr (who still had to be paid). It was the right move to balk at that price (especially when it more or less appeared that the Rangers were biding against themself).

2) I thought it was time to tear the whole thing down after the run in '97 (especially after Messire left and the Avs matched the Sakic sheet). The Rangers had a lot of problems and a lot was masked with a magical run to the ECF. Gretzky was at the end of his career, defense was old, and the farm system was as bare as ever. And the Flyers were poised to become a power in the East and the Devils had just won the Cup.