Thread: Prospect Info: Jon Blum - 16, Colin Wilson 17 ...
View Single Post
Old
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Does anyone know of a player who noticeably increased their speed after they made the NHL? Because I hear this a lot, that a guy is a good prospect or player but "needs to increase their speed" and I can't recall it happening, but of course I only know a tiny percentage of the players careers, 1 percent lol.

A guy who makes the NHL has been skating for 15 to 20 years, probably training hard for 8 to 10 years, yet coaches want them to get faster. Wilson said a couple years ago he worked really hard to improve his skating because he was told that needed work. And he said he did make nice gains. But now? Trotz said preseason that he could improve his speed but that's all he saw. And I'm thinking "sorry coach, Wilson is probably about where his speed is going to be" because I jsut doubt players get faster after this age.

But maybe I'm wrong. If I'm wrong it makes me wonder why Franson (or Wilson) weren't working on their speed already. I haven't heard anyone say "Wow, look at Franson! He's so much faster than last year!"

I think "improve their speed" is almost a false hope once they reach the NHL. It would be very tough to change skating techinique after 15-20 years of skating a certain way. Of course, as I said, Wilson says he did improve a couple years back. Yet Trotz still mentions looking for more...
oh you can improve your skating. it all depends on your drive to do so. not only can you tweak the stride to make it better....especially skating backwards but you can also work on strength and foot speed. that is the type of stuff that the strength and conditioning coach can improve on.

Hartnell got a skating coach one summer and it helped him.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote