View Single Post
Old
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
dumpnchase

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisPt31 View Post
I wouldn't mind having Nabby stay. I don't think there's any one available that would be much of an upgrade, if at all. Now, assuming the Sharkies will part ways, I'll play along.

Using the UFA list from NHL Numbers, the only goalies who could maybe replace Nabby are:
  • Biron, Martin
  • Ellis, Dan
  • Emery, Ray
  • Theodore, Jose
  • Turco, Marty

Biron's backed up for too long and he's rustier than a shovel left out in the yard overnight. His 11-12 career playoff record doesn't help his case. Ellis is young but inconsistent. Emery is starting to get a case of chronic DiPietro-itis and his body is starting to fall apart already. Theodore is inconsistent, as is Turco. Also, only Emery has a winning playoff record in that bunch.

The RFA list is full of young goalies with potential:
  • Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Dubnyk, Devan - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Gustavsson, Jonas - TOR isn't going to let him go
  • Halak, Jaroslav - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Harding, Josh - Not ready
  • Lehtonen, Kari - DAL isn't going to let him go
  • Neuvirth, Michal - No
  • Niemi, Antti - Not proven
  • Pavelec, Ondrej - TOR isn't going to let him go
  • Peters, Justin - Not proven
  • Price, Carey - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Schneider, Cory - Not proven, but potential is there

I think only Halak can come in and replace Nabby halfway decently. He's still green and needs a few kinks to work out but he's show lots of talent. Gustavsson was highly touted but his style is very flawed and has a huge propensity for giving up bad goals - even more so than Nabby. Lehtonen is too fragile (so don't get too excited yet, Dallas) and

Pavelec, Price, Niemi, Schneider, and Harding (and Peters, to an extent) have lots of upside but they're all projects at this point. I wouldn't mind if the Sharks pick up Price as a backup, though. I still think the kid can be a major superstar in the league with the right handling.

Anywho, the Sharks will have to make a trade to bring in a starter who can effectively replace Nabby. Greiss is not the answer yet and there isn't a free agent who can come in and "win now."
  • Drouin-Deslauriers, Jeff - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Dubnyk, Devan - not worth anything to the Sharks
  • Gustavsson, Jonas - TOR isn't going to let him go
  • Halak, Jaroslav - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Harding, Josh - Not ready
  • Lehtonen, Kari - DAL isn't going to let him go
  • Neuvirth, Michal - No
  • Niemi, Antti - Not proven
  • Pavelec, Ondrej - ATL isn't going to let him go
  • Peters, Justin - Not proven
  • Price, Carey - Maybe MTL would let him go
  • Schneider, Cory - Not proven, but potential is there

The Sharks should sign a cheap UFA goalie and should start the season with cheap UFA goalie + Greiss. If they fail trade for a goalie like Halak who the team wants to trade, they could probably get him or someone like him for a 2nd rounder.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote