View Single Post
Old
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
j12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach13 View Post
Forget everything you think you know about talent, and take a look at the science.

Conventional wisdom says you either have it or you don't (even at 7 years old!). And if you don't, you'd better accept your limitations and your mediocre skills.

The new science (call it neuroplasticity) suggests that the conventional wisdom is pure bunk.

With hard work, sweat and tears, young athletes can train themselves to be great, even those who were born with only average genetic talent.

Over the next 10 years (say 5 to 15; 7 to 17; or 10 to 20), what will the future superstars have more of than their mediocre cousins?

Knowledge, motivation, ambition, persistence, self-discipline; in short, an environment which nurtures and helps shape their genetic talent.

-------------------------------------------------------------
editorial staff, sportsvisionmagazine.com
- training visual, cognitive and intelligence skills
An example of this is Corey Perry. Horrible hockey player until he hit his growth spurt at 14 and took power skating lessons. Trained hard for a few years and by the time his OHL draft year came around he was a top 10 pick. I should say by horrible, I mean he wasn't a AAA calibre player, or the type of guy you would say would win an Olympic Gold one day.

I can give you tons of other examples of players who were great in tyke, novice and atom but never did anything and vice versa. It's just the way it is.

And I agree with the sentiment that how good a player is doesn't matter until hitting is involved. It completely changes the game and evens things out quite a bit. All of a sudden positioning and hockey awareness become much greater factors than stickhandling and speed.

j12 is offline   Reply With Quote