Thread: Rumor: Letang Offer
View Single Post
Old
03-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
I think you are underestimating what a 10-year, $35 million offer could do. Sure, he's eventually going to be worth more than that on a per annum basis, but $35 million is $35 million. Show him some love, commit to him and make him a loooooong term offer. We don't know exactly what the points of contention are between the two sides, but sometimes it's about showing commitment towards a player. In this case, commitment would come at the expense of a more reasonable cap hit for the club. Letang's not a big guy and he plays a big man's game. Maybe security is something he's looking for. Again, we don't know the ins and outs of the negotiations.

I agree that 1 year, $3.5 million could also work for the completely opposite point of view. But if he's actually rejected $3.5 million, it's probably a 3-5 year offer.

Tender made some excellent points but the problem here is comparables aren't the end-all and be-all of negotiations. Letang is more important to this team than either Vlasic or Edler are to their's. More important in light of our current situation: only two defenders under contract for next year; Sarge on the verge of leaving; defending Cup champions. Like it or not, Letang has us over a barrel imo.

If we play hard ball and are forced to move him, we would have to completely alter our game plan. The wingers would then become more exposed and suddenly agents of UFA defenders will be calling Shero and upping the price for their clients.

Come July 1, I wouldn't mind our position with a signed Letang. We can pick and choose what defensive direction we wanna go in. Without a signed Letang, however, it could get ugly.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote