View Single Post
Old
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
Letang would love arbitration if the Pens chose to take him to it. He could then be a UFA after next year because he gets the choice of a one year or two year contract. I can guarantee you that the Pens will never offer Letang arbitration.
I sincerely believe that is incorrect. No matter if Letang was to be awarded a one or two year settlement he would remain an RFA at the end of the deal, because he has neither the NHL tenure or the age to quality for unrestricted free agency. You must either have 7 years of NHL experience or be 27 years of age to qualify.
Nikolai Zherdev will be a quasi-exception this Summer, but that is because his team walked away and because of having lost a year to the lockout.
Jordan Staal will become the youngest UFA yet in the history of the game when his current contract is out. Letang on the other hand will need to play four more seasons after this one before he can be an UFA, unless Shero walks away from an arbitration also. No matter if those are four one year contracts won through arbitration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
Shero should offer a two year deal worth about 2.5-3.0 mil a year. Nothing more. Letang hasn't shown enough to get a longer contract or more money.
I agree with you on that though. At least he should try. Of course it leaves us open to that offer sheet, and in case it arrives we cannot take him to arbitration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Tender made some excellent points but the problem here is comparables aren't the end-all and be-all of negotiations. Letang is more important to this team than either Vlasic or Edler are to their's.
That is true, but that has little bearing on the arbitration awards though which was my point. Arbitration could be a way out of that dilemma exactly.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote