View Single Post
Old
02-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK
Do I really need to explain why Toronto is a large hockey market and Miami isn't?
Yes.

Quote:
The New York Rangers aren't a well managed team.
Yes they are.

You're just looking at the hockey side of things. I'm talking about managed from a business standpoint. And yes, often they can be related, but they're not the same thing.

The Rangers are obviously in a great market, but they've also got great ownership. The owners of the team also own the cable network which broadcasts their games. That's a good situation to be in.

Quote:
The Leafs don't need to be a well managed team and they would still lead the league in revenues.
The Leafs wouldn't have nearly the revenues they do now if Ballard still owned the team. Not even close.

The owners of the Leafs have turned them into a huge entertainment corporation. They've got a great new arena, they've got their own television network, they ice a competitive team that fans can actually get excited about, their games are actually shown on TV (unlike Chicago's) etc...

Times change. Change occurs in all industries. These are the types of things owners are going to have to do to keep up if they want to move the game forward.

Owners like Jacobs and Wirtz want to kick back and wish for a time machine to take them back to 1975. Won't happen.

Quote:
On the other hand the Oilers appear to be a very well managed team but they are slowly dying and they seem to have ownership that is very dedicated to the community.
I've already listed reasons why teams like he Oilers and Flames have unique problems that need to be dealt with seperately from a new CBA.

Quote:
That's ridiculous. With the current system well managed, progressive teams are in serious trouble because they can't compete with poorly managed high revenue teams.
Examples?

Quote:
Since when is only about Chicago and Boston?
No different than you and Bettman trying to portray it as only about Edmonton and Calgary.

I choose Chicago and Boston because both of their owners are part of that "Group of 8" and they're a perfect example of what I'm talking about.