Saint Mary's Little Dogs Eliminate Mcgilligutties

March 26, 2010 - UPDATED

LITTLE DOGS AND THUNDERMUTTS ELIMINATE OUAE REPS

SAINT MARY'S HUSKIES 4
MCGILL REDMEN 2

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS BOXSCORE]
|> [GAME STORY @ CIS] ~ [GAME STORY @ MCGILL]
|> [SSN WEBCAST]

Now that the links are in and the evening game is over I have updated this post. McGill got off to a 2-0 lead but once again could not hold it. That's 3 blown leads in 3 games for the OUA.

BTW, the SSN webcast (for both Friday games) has not been uploaded as I post but likely will have been as you read.

The shots on goal in the 3rd period were 6-3 for McGill. They were down 4-2 and managed only 6 shots. I suppose that's better than the 3 shots they had on Manitoba or the 4 that UQTR had on Alberta. But OMG how sad it is for the cream of the OUA East. This is the nationals. You need to play stronger in the 3rd. My guess is that they are not used to the competition level. The teams from the AUS and the CW play A or B level teams every week and must work to win. I cannot believe that those teams lack conditioning.

It also appears that the media circus around ex-con Mike Danton of the Saint Mary's Little Dogs has subsided. Hopefully that will remain the case.

Anyhow, Saint Mary's and Manitoba will play what amounts to a semi-final game Saturday afternoon. I'll be watching!

UQTR PATRIOTES 2
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 7

|> [LEAGUESTAT SUMMARY] ~ [SCORER'S SHEET] ~ [CIS BOXSCORE]
|> [GAME STORY @ CIS ENGLISH] ~ [GAME STORY @ CIS FRENCH]
|> [SSN WEBCAST]

The CIS game story link is not working. The English link leads to a French story, which I suppose one could translate with Google Translate.

The Thundermutts got off to a 3-0 lead and never looked back. Their ticket-holders were out in full force, which was nice. They sold lots of tournament passes but few ticket-holders were actually attending. I suppose lots did not want to miss work for the afternoon games.

Anyhow, at least the game did not witness a team blowing a lead and from that angle posed a refreshing change of pace.

The Saturday night pool finale between Lakehead and Alberta will carry a lot of intrigue. Alberta is the #1 seed and a traditional power. Lakehead has promised lots and delivered little in recent seasons. Just when they appeared to be on the verge of being a powerhouse this year they limped their way through a loss to the McGilligutties in the OUA final.

OTHER MEDIA STORIES:
  • CISblog.ca: Day 1 Update - It has a comments section with input from CIS observers from across the country, including a brilliant fellow named Hollywood.
    CISblog.ca: Friday Notebook - And to keep things fresh they now have a blog post for Friday's action.

Chronicle-Journal: Best of the West - The story deals with the CW's dominance of opening day.
    Chronicle-Journal: Ferguson in the house - JFJ is a scout for San Jose now and is in T-Bay.

T-Bay Newswatch: Ferguson Jr. still in the game - This story adds that JFJ wants to be a GM again.
    T-Bay Newswatch: Wolves slam Patriotes - This is a very good game story and deserves a read. Here's a quote:
    Quote:

Lakehead coach Joel Scherban said he expects more of the same against the Golden Bears, a team he last met as a player in the 2006 University Cup final, a game the Wolves lost 3-2.

“Alberta is obviously a great team. Year after year they’re here. They’re an experienced team, a lot of high-end skill, very smooth skating, they move the puck well. We really need to be at our best tomorrow to beat them. We need to execute like we did tonight. We need the jump we had tonight,” said Scherban, who sat with former coach Pete Belliveau during the afternoon tilt, but said they talked anything and everything but hockey.

“We need to elevate our game to a level we haven’t played before,” he added.

How to do that is the $64,000 question. If Scherban had any secret answers, he wasn’t sharing.

“The game plan tomorrow is not going to change much from tonight. We’re going to do the same things. We’re going to focus on ourselves. Obviously there’s some stuff that we’ll go over with the players specific to Alberta, about their tendencies.”

The afternoon game between Manitoba and Saint Mary’s is scheduled for 2 p.m. The evening tilt between the Wolves and Golden Bears is a half-hour earlier than usual, at 7 p.m., to accommodate Rogers Sportsnet, which is televising the game.
    That game time change is worthwhile to note from the official schedule which has been circulating.

South Campus Sports: Bears top Patriotes to open nationals - This is an Edmonton story. Evidently the U of A is also located in the south end of town.

Edmonton Journal: U of A wins to open CIS hockey championship - Another Edmonton story.

Cape Breton Post: Huskies, Redmen to open CIS hockey finals - A view from the east coast.

CanWest Global: Bisons rally to shock McGill at CIS hockey championship - Oddly, this is from their Saskatoon office. Hmmm.

McGill.ca: Bisons rally to stampede Redmen in overtime - This is old news already!
NEXT UP:
  • March 27, 2010 - 1:00 CDT Manitoba @ Saint Mary's : [SSN WEBCAST]
    March 27, 2010 - 6:00 CDT Lakehead v Alberta : [SSN WEBCAST]
    March 28, 2010 - 6:00 CDT Final Game : [SSN WEBCAST]
BOOKMARKS:
  • : : : :
    : : : :

Last edited by Hollywood3: 03-26-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: UPDATED WITH NEW LINKS AND EVENING SCORES
Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote