View Single Post
Old
02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Falon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
There already is more than just a handful of teams that can pay the players, and the small market teams in hockey towns will survive just fine with some financial assistance, unless of course you're one of the sheep that actually believes the NHL figures.

Edmonton & New York? Bad examples to use. Edmonton has had twice the success New York has despite having half the payroll. And it goes further than those two examples as evidenced by recent history...Annaheim, Carolina, Calgary, Buffalo, Tampa...in the finals, or how about the fact that in the past 3 years the 12 conference finalists have been 12 different teams. The disparity isn't as large as many NHL hardline loyalists believe.

The old system can't continue to operate, I don't see anyone acknowledging that, including the players who would stand the most to gain from it, so I don't know where the original accusations come from. However, a modified version of the Players December offer is workable and will not only provide some much needed financial assistance to the teams that could use the help but would also cause larger markets to be reluctant in signing high priced players that puts them over the cap, do you honestly believe that Toronto would easily throw $10 million to a player with a market value of $5 million?

The latest proposal from Bettman was a joke and only those with blinders on couldn't see through it. Taking the players original proposal allowed for all current players under contract with teams still needing to add more just to fill out the roster. The minute the players did up their laces the NHL's Feb offer would kick in.

AND the $42 million trigger that Bettman suggested is for PLAYER COSTS as he continuelly states. I have yet to hear him say NHL level salaries in any form of cap or restrictions he mentions. (Feel free to prove me wrong here, I'd love to be, because I can't believe a bigger issue isn't being made of this). Take Carolina for example, two years ago their NHL salaries were $33.75 million, BUT their reported player costs for that same year according to the previous CBA (which I can't see differing in definition) which include pensions, buy outs, on site medicals etc, etc. came to $46.1 million.

So in fact, if you use those numbers as an example, only 73% of player costs are actual NHL salaries, which means that with Bettmans latest proposal of a $42 million cap NHL teams will only have around $30.7 million to spend on fielding a team for NHL play. (A large chunk of player costs are hard costs and wouldn't be reduced by much with the rollback, even then I don't think the roll back affects AHL contracts).

Yeah, 30.7 million is what you can spend, even if you give for 10% margin of error, Bettman expects teams to spend AT MOST 33.77 million on their players.

You think that's reasonable?
You know what, i do think it is reasonable. And here is why, please fell free to butcher my numbers here as I have no doubt that it will happen anyway.

To me, a 1st line player making 3 million dollars a season is reasonable.

1 LW, 1 C, 1 RW, 2 D - 15 million dollars.

2nd line players say 2 million. 1 LW, 1 C, 1 RW, 2 D - 10 million

3rd line players say 1 million. 1 LW, 1 C, 1 RW, 2 D - 5 million

4th line players say 500,000. 1 LW, 1 C, 1 RW - 1.5 million.

1st string goalie say 3 million
backup say 750,000.

total: 35,250,000. Not counting AHL contracts. Given the fact that the owners are offering between 32 million and 42 million. There is plenty of wiggle room IMO. I think one of the major problems is that 3 million to a 6-8 million dollar man seems like a slap in the face. I think that a major overhaul needs to come in the mindset of the players. They need to understand that 3 million or 2 million is still 3 million or 2 million. It is still excellent money that can keep a person in a very comfortable lifestyle for the rest of their life. Keep in mind as well, that this is per year. I remember when players were making 40,000 at entry level. In Gilmour's retirement speech, he spoke about how when he came into the league he was making 40,000 a season and the highest paid player on their team was Mike Liut who was making 500,000. He said that all he could think about was that if he could make that kind of money one day, he would be set for life. Somewhere along the way, a million a season became so small an amount that 4th liners make it. Which to me is disgusting. Playing like 4-6 minutes a game and still being a million dollar man. I do not see how one can defend a group that demands such money, when clearly half of what they make would still keep them in lavish lifestyles well after hockey.