Old
03-27-2010, 01:39 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I think it goes well beyond this.

Krajicek, Krog and Oulette etc. were not drafted by the Canucks.The Canucks invested a 5th round draft pick in Rai. The kid put up 25 and 41 goals over the next 2 years. Why after after 2 stellar years in the WHL would they not give him a contract? Should this disappoint the Canucks? Should they have had expectations that a 5th round pick would do more? To me, it's inconceivable that after the last 2 seasons they wouldn't give him a contract.

That doesn't mean that he is a sure thing to be an NHLer, it just means they are willing to continue to invest in his ongoing development. If a player doesn't project to have what it takes to make it to the NHL (Evan Fuller for instance) they don't offer him a contract just to put him on the Moose. Craig Heisinger has proven pretty adept at finding talent within the ECHL and overage undrafted juniors to fill those roster slots.
I agree with all that (except the last bit - IMO they would sign a player just to play on the Moose, if they felt that it would help the organization overall)... but most of your comments have nothing to do with what I'm arguing. My argument is based solely on whether the Canucks would sign a player to a contract (one of their maximum 50 contracts allowed) if the player was solely expected to help the farm team. It's not about Rai - he's a young player who's developed well so far for a 5th round pick and deserves that contract.

I was arguing against the belief that teams only sign players to contracts if they feel they can someday help their pro team. I disagree with this idea because IMO signing a guy to help your farm team also helps the organization overall and therefore becomes a worthwhile signing. Krog is a perfect example of this.

It's not about Rai.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote