View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's been previously speculated (and reasonably so) that there wasn't anything available at the deadline. At least not for a reasonable cost to us.

Every team has injuries, but very few if any have this many injuries at goalie. Can you name any other team that was without their 1st and 2nd string goalie at any point in the season, let alone the entire second half of the season? Can you name any team that's currently without their 1st, 2nd, and 4th string goalies as well as their leading point and goal-scorer? I can't think of any.

Injuries become a legitimate excuse at a certain point. I think the slump that we're in right now has certainly crossed that point.

I don't see how a team like Detroit can have their down year excused by bad luck with injuries, but for some reason the Flyers can't blame some of their record this season on bad luck with injuries.
Holmgren said he did not make one phone call for a goalie so how would he know what was possible? Homer and the media had been saying along he had no interest in a goalie and felt they needed a forward or defenseman. They also said all along Leighton would be our playoff starter. I think it's painfully obvious he was content with gambling on Leighton/Boucher which everyone thought was a terrible idea except for the three Holmgren supporters in existence.

Sure, they've had unusually bad luck with goaltending, I am not going to dispute that, but up until Leighton got injured their goaltending had been adequate for this season.

This team has been terrible hockey this entire month. There was signs of a horrible slump was coming before Leighton was injured. Their offense simply has not been producing.

Giroux: 1 goal
JVR: 1 goal
Hartnell: 2 goals
Briere: 3 goals
Richards: 4 goals
Betts: 1 goal
Laperriere: 0 goals
Powe: 0 goals
Asham: 1 goal

You're not going to win many games when the majority of your forwards are doing nothing all month long. Yeah it hurts to lose Carter considering he was one of the two forwards scoring on a regular basis, but you're not going to do much better if they aren't getting scoring from the rest of the roster.

They've scored 7 goals in their 5 game losing streak. You can't win when you average less than 1.5 goals a game.

The injuries suck and certainly complicates things, but if the players that are here would be show up there would be no talk about them possibly missing the playoffs.

I don't care about what people say about Detroit, but I will say when you're the best organization in the league and your team is at the top of the league year in and year out you're going to get leeway when you have a down year for the first time in forever.

An underachieving organization? Not so much. When Leighton went down the Flyers just had to go .500 the rest of the way and they'd more than likely would secure a playoff spot. That was an achievable goal despite the injuries. They have failed to reach that goal so far because their forwards have not showed up. That has nothing to do with their bad luck with goalies.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote