Old
03-28-2010, 06:18 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
With the 432nd pick in ATD2010, The Regina Pats are pleased to select:

Harry Percival Watson, LW

- 6'1", 207 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Stanley Cup (1943, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951)
- Top-20 in goals 7 Times (2nd, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 17th, 19th)
- Top-20 in points 3 Times (7th, 16th, 20th)
- Top-10 in playoff goals 3 times (2nd, 4th, 8th)
- Top-13 in playoff points 3 Times (6th, 7th, 13th)
- Only 150 PIM in 809 Games
- 7-Time All-Star Game Participant
- From 1947-1956, Watson was 4th in goals and 12th in points. Richard, Howe, and Lindsay had more goals, and among the 11 with more points, only three are not surefire top-100 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Throughout his career, Watson was best known for his offensive ability, which he combined with a quiet, even temperament on the ice to complement his strong leadership. A left wing who was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in 1923, Harry Percival Watson played 14 seasons in the NHL on four different teams from 1941 to 1954.

...The next season he went to the Detroit Red Wings, where he was an instant hit. In his first year there his 13 goals helped the Red Wings finish first overall in the regular season. In the playoffs he was dominant as the Wings beat Boston in four straight games to win Stanley Cup.

...in Toronto he quickly teamed up with center Syl Apps and tough guy **** ******** to form a scoring trio feared around the league. This troika helped the Leafs win the Stanley Cup four times during Watson's nine seasons at Maple Leaf Gardens, giving him a total of five Cup wins in his career.

As an individual, Watson's best year was with the Leafs in 1948-49. He led the club in scoring with 26 goals and, unbelievably, didn't record a single penalty minute throughout the season. He also scored the eventual Stanley Cup-winning goal that year en route to a 4-0 swamp of his old team, the Red Wings. Leafs fans also remember Watson as the one who assisted on Bill Barilko's legendary overtime Cup-winning goal in 1951...

Overall, Watson played in 809 regular-season games in the NHL, scoring 236 career goals to go with 207 assists for 443 career points. In addition to his five Stanley Cup wins, Watson's teams succeeded in making the playoffs in nine of the 14 years he played. He also played in seven All-Star games, usually as a member of the Cup-winning team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 3
Watson was a big and brawny left wing with an easy going manner. He was quite aggressive and could fight, but never pushed things too far and consequently did not get a great many penalties... he had a very deceptive style of skating and at times appeared to be hardly moving and then would break like a flash.

He did not play in the 1951 semifinal due to injurues, but was prominent in the final against the Canadiens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Legends
The little-known Watson went on to help the Leafs win four Stanley Cups by adding some toughness and scoring on the wing. The rugged native of Saskatoon was one of the NHL's most feared fighters, although he did not get into many tussles since the opposition usually avoided him. For more than nine seasons Watson was a steadying influence on the Leafs.

He patrolled the wing with a strong skating stride, had a hard shot and was a good finisher for a playmaker like Apps.

Watson was tough along the boards and could handle the rough stuff with ease. In the third game of the 1948 semifinal series, burly Boston Bruins defenseman ****** ********* went after Watson and learned to regret it as the normally mild-mannered winger dropped his gloves and pummelled ********* fast and furiously, smashing his nose with one of his punches...

...his all-round game made him one of the first "power forwards" in the NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leafs: the First 50 Years
...a mild-mannered LW with the ability to be a great scorer and the strength of a prize fighter...

From 1952 to 1955, Harry's career was unspectacular but efficient. What the Leafs did achieve in those years was to a great extent the result of Harry's hard work and leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leafs: An Anecdotal History
********, Barilko, Mortson, Watson - with those guys on the prowl, other teams learned to keep their heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Story
Harry Watson could duke it out pretty well but only if he was mad, so opposing coaches always told their teams not to wake him up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Hockey
Watson was a physical LW who played the game aggressively but within the rules. He was a deceptively fast skater who was used to check the opposition's top scorers, but had a good scoring touch of his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stanley's Cup
Proved to be a reason for victory (for Detroit)... Helped Toronto to the 1948 cup despite a bad knee... Made a key play that led to Barilko's cup-winning goal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoured Members
At 6'1" and 205 pounds, Watson was head and shoulders above everyone in the league during his heyday. But he was as gentlemanly as he was big and never played an intimidating style of hockey. Instead, he earned his respect through teamwork and leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice: The Tim Horton Story
A great bear of a left winger who defied the expectations created by his intimidating size...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly Gee, It's Me!
Then it was so long to Harry Watson - keep him happy and he was a winger who'd get you 20 goals a season with a broken leg, just as easy as falling off a log.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroes: Stars Of Hockey's Golden Era
There seems to be a consensus among veterans of the six-team era when they remember Harry Watson. Watson, they agree, was a force to be reckoned with when agitated... "I guess I was always classified as a lazy hockey player," he explains. "I guess because I tried to play my position. I didn't try to play center and right wing because I was a left winger. I tried to do my job. They also classed Gordie Howe as a lazy player. I always wished that I was as lazy as he was because he was one exceptional hockey player."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Years Of Glory
On at least two occasions Gordie Howe actually codified this attitude by making private agreements of mutual non-hostility with opposing players. "In one of my early Detroit training camps, before I turned pro, we had an exhibition game in Toronto. As I skated into the corner early in the game, Harry Watson skated in beside me, ready to cream me. But just before he lowered his shoulder, he yelled, 'look out, kid!' and I just had time to relax and take the hit without getting hurt. Later in the game, when I was about to hit him, I returned the favour by calling, 'Look out, Mr. Watson!" He took the hit in stride, and as he skated away, he said to me, 'I can see we're gonna get along fine, young fella.' He was a big, strong man, and for fifteen years after that he always covered me when we played the Leafs. And he never once took advantage, and neither did I."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings Of Fire
Harry Watson was a remarkable hockey player... Watson is remembered as a hard-working leader. Fast and strong, the bulky left winger possessed great offensive and defensive ability... While in Toronto, he was often given orders to check opponents like Gordie Howe and Maurice Richard... Even though he was seldom penalized, Watson was no wimp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Hall of Fame
Harry Watson patrolled the left wing with a quiet efficiency. He was known for his offensve ability complemented by deceptive speed, physical strength and capable defensive skills... He joined the Black hawks in 1954, providing leadership and experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game We Knew: Hockey In the 50s
One of the top power forwards of the era, Watson was a good skater who had a powerful shot. A durable and consistent performer, Watson was respected by the opposition for his toughness and goal-scoring abilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1948-04-01
****** ********* was the Boston casualty. his nose was badly splattered when he clashed with big Harry Watson in a fist-swinging duel. Dr. Horace McIntyre, Leafs physician who has been checking the health of pro hockey players for more than two decades, says he has never seen a nose so badly smashed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1948-04-08
Harry Watson played with the authority of the rugged 200-pounder that he is, shrugging off his opponents like water from a duck's back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1948-04-12
Ted Lindsay, spotting Watson approximately 40 pounds, clashed with the big boy. He took one blow from the Toronto left winger, and then retreated, but fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1950-02-02
Nearest thing to a fistic outbreak among many threats happened late in the second was when Harry Watson, who had handed out severall stiff checks, was high-sticked by Lindsay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1951-12-29
Watson's very bigness gives him somewhat of a lazy, ambling appearance as he patrols his left side in effecive fashion, but when he gets the puck he picks up top speed in about a stride and a half and presents a pretty picture as he whirlwinds towards the enemy's net.

...Watson, the only leaf with more than 10 goals other than the Kennedy line, trails numerous other lefties in the points department, but we guarantee, without checking, that there are not many, if any, with a better defensive record.

...The big fellow is respected by his opponents. He sometimes takes too much from some of the chippier types but once aroused, can be relied upon to give a good account of himself.

...There isn't a southpaw winger in hockey today that we'd like to trade for Watson, and that includes messrs. Smith and Lindsay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1952-01-03
What the wires didn't pick up, was Dann's admittance that there are some really tough guys in the NHL. He mentioned Richard, Flaman, Howe, Watson, Kelly, Ezinicki, Lindsay, Johnson, Stasiuk, and Geoffrion. He warned all, and his friend Sundry, that it would be advisable to stay away from that group unless they wished to start collecting their pension cheques early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1952-12-22
Harry Watson decked *** ******* behind the Chicago goal. "You can't do that; I didn't have the puck!" complained ******* to which Watson replied, "What d'ya mean I can't? Are you a prima donna?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1954-02-03
"We're trying to sharpen up the left wing spot," said King Clancy following yesterday's session. "Outside of Harry Watson, we're not getting the best out of the players on that side."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1954-03-29
Harry Watson and his 200 pounds were an ongoing concern for the Wings. The big guy flattened Howe a couple of times. Early in the third period, he knocked down his check, Howe, and Pronovost, in quick succession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail, 1954-03-30
"One guy who has been playing hockey for me in this series has been Harry Watson," said Smythe. "He has been checking Howe most of the time and Howe hasn't done anything with the teams at even strength."
CLUTCH PLAY:

In the 1948 finals, Watson opened the scoring in game 1, a 5-3 win, then scored the winner in game 3, a 2-0 game. Watson was outstanding in the cup-clinching game:

Quote:
Watson and Kennedy were outstanding, both getting two goals.
And turned the tides in game 2 in the 1949 semis:

Quote:
Boston led at the end of the second period... Watson sank the Bruins in the final, getting two nice goals.
Watson also scored the OT winner to put the Leafs ahead 3-1 in the 1951 finals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checking Back
Harry Watson came onto the ice, took a quick pass from Bentley, poked the puck past Doug Harvey, beat him to it, and then shot it past *******'s kicking left leg.
Then, Watson played a part in one of the most memorable goals of all-time, first by a clutch backcheck with the goalie pulled:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcheck: A Hockey Retrospective
Little hope was left for a Toronto reprieve as ** ******* was yanked with one minute and 53 seconds remaining. Then, strategy paid off and in this instance we suggest that rookie NHL coach *** ******* out-mastered veteran NHL coach Dick Irvin.

Primeau sent out the players who had figured most prominently in the scoring in the series: Kennedy, Smith, Sloan, Watson, Bentley and Mortson. Irvin countered with his good checking line: Mosdell, Curry, ***** and Johnson and Bouchard on defense.

A brief three-second scramble and another faceoff was ordered. Irvin sent out Lach to replace Mosdell, but changed his mind. Mosdell almost broke loose, but Harry Watson raced madly down the ice to grab the puck and save the situation.
Then, he started the play that led to the goal:

Quote:
Watson flattened a rolling puck and passed to ****** who went behind the Canadiens net and passed out to Barilko. The big blond defenseman drilled it home at 2:53 to win the game and the Cup.

Last edited by seventieslord: 04-03-2010 at 03:40 AM.