View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Without panicking (ok, with a little panic) the question this thread seems to pose is:

Is this team currently stumbling because of the players failure to execute or the implementation, by coaching, of an ineffective style?

There is no doubt that some players are just not getting it done.Simmonds has been AWOL offensively, Modin has all but disappeared, but for one game in the last ten,Smyth has forgotten where the net is, Brown is, well, Brown, and Justin Williams is just not ready. Frolov and Handzus are responsible defensively, but are not scoring enough.

Which brings me to the system. For all the offensive talent we have, our offensive is anemic (and please don't quote me stats, unless the focus solely on the last 10 games)
the board cycling may be a great way to increase time of puck possession, but SOG aren't generally generated from the low boards. At times, it looks like our offense is glued to the wall. Frolov, who used to be able to slash to net for quick shots has all but lost that element in his game, as it seems many other players have as well. Our defensemen rarely crash the net, and if we do get set up in the offensive zone the passing is so predictable that the forecheck usually prevents more than one quality chance.

Last night Dallas, on their PP had great (fast and on target) diagonal passing which forced the goalie to move from side to side, exposing at least one side to being wide open. When was the last time you saw the Kings do that whether at ES or on the PP? I can't remember, its been so long.

Right now our offense is stagnant, and our defensive is pretty damn poor. It is not just the players, although they are certainly a large part of the problem. But, the style is not suited to generating as many scoring chances as we should be generating. Add to that the fact that the team looks, and worse, is playing tired, AND JQ IS TIRED, and our optimism for getting to watch playoff games may have been a bit premature.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote