View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 04:24 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I can say that MOST collisons happen from either inexperience or a broken play and more often than not an experienced player will read that an inexperienced one is getting himself in a position to get hurt so they let up on him. In full contact it is a green light to kill someone who has his head down.
This happened last night after the collision; a puck goes in the corner, I turn my head around to see who's coming in behind me as I glide into the corner to retrieve it, and I can see my opponents pulling up well before they get too close to me - either not to be too hard on the scrub (me) out of pity, or possibly because they're afraid of being injured themselves from my less than perfect control on the ice.

Quote:
These things happens because by nature you are on skates on ice and by default that complicates things immediately. Don't quit man seriously, you'll be fine.
I am still very deeply mental in basketball mode, where contact is to be avoided 99.9% of the time - it would mean a foul. You knock someone over in b-ball, play stops and you lean forward with a hand to help them get up, and apologize.

That's why it's so easy to pick out new hockey players, regardless of their skating ability, they shy away from getting too close to other players who are chasing/have the puck.

It might take a few years of steady play, but I will try to mentally overcome this fear of touching anyone on the ice, and continue to move towards the puck. For the most part, it was my lack of speed that prevented me from arriving at the puck in a scrum, but it was also a little bit of "I can dive in there and possibly come up with it, but if I do I might injure someone" by being more aggressive.

Each time I've played, I've gotten a little bit more and more over this, but these collisions have shaken me.

While not as big as hockey68, I guess I have pretty good skate balance, because I have had several people just bounce off me like mosquitos...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote