Thread: Knee "popped"
View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNuCk#88 View Post
Im in the same boat man. I got the results of my mRI Friday. I have torn cartilage which will require surgury and a recovery time of 4-6 weeks. And heres the big one...torn ACL which requires major surgury and an estimated recover time of 9-12 months.

I'm pissed to say the least as I had rotator cuff surgury this time last year. Which kept me off the ice for over 2 months.

The doc said the ACL surguey MAY not have to be done. He said if I strengthen the muscles around the knee that may be enough.

I asked him if I would play hockey again without the ACL surgury he said the chances are good. He told me the John Elway played almost his whole career with a torn ACL. I dont need to compete on anywhere near that level so im hopeful. I just want to play shinny or rec hockey.
I was told something similar. My Dr explained it as, you don't need an ACL for your knee to function properly. If the other 3 ligaments are strong and healthy they will hold the knee in place. I had no choice though. I sprained my LCL at the same I tore my ACL.

If you choose not to do it (pretty big commitment) you may end up wearing a brace for greater stability.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote