View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 08:38 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheLew View Post
I am a Ducks fan who tries to follow the Blues a little bit because of Kariya and some of their young talent, I was just in Missouri for a couple months and went to the Blues vs. Capitals right before the Olympic break. Was a fun game to watch minus the ignorant fans I was sitting beside who clearly knew nothing of Hockey but were all wearing mardi gras beads.

The bit I read here and there makes me think that you guys aren't too fond of Jackman, I always thought he was a pretty good defenseman. What do you all think of him and why? Will he be on the move in the offseason?
He doesn't seem well liked because most fans tend to underrate the importance of what he does well, and over-generalize (in both quantity and magnitude) the things he doesn't do well. I'm fairly sure the Blues organization views him as a valuable asset and are not looking to move him.

He's a perfectly good mid-pairing defenseman who's capable of playing against many other team's top lines. He's very physical, very tough, very strong on the boards and in front of his own net, above average positionally, above average mobility and strength on his skates, decent stickhandling and puck posession abilities, holds the puck in well enough on the point, average outlet pass from the defensive zone, above average leadership/intangibles, slightly above average hockey sense, and he can fight.

He's isn't adept at rushing the puck himself, at joining the rush, or at demonstrating offensive creativity in the neutral or offensive zones. He doesn't have a particularly hard or accurate shot, and he isn't particularly good at getting it off quickly or through traffic.

In short, he has a rather unglamorous skill set that makes him particularly valuable in the defensive zone and on the PK, while making him singularly unremarkable (although not necessarily a liability) in the other two zones. He's worth what he's paid, in my opinion.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote