Thread: Jackman
View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 08:43 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

vCash: 500
Barret Jackman is like most other defensive defensmen in the league, when they make a gaff, they are the ire of the fan base. Offensive defensmen despite being more of a defensive liability are often "forgiven" strictly because they are much more exciting to watch. To the casual fan a defensman that can put up tangible stats(Goals and Assists) is going to be more popular than a defensman who's play you cannot judge from looking at the back of a hockey card. Jackman falls into this category.

He is very sound defensive defensman that shows little in the way of stats. Jackman plays the toughest minutes of anyone on the team, and does a very respectable job. That being said he is not without faults. At times he is overexposed, most would agree that he would benefit from playing as a number two or three defensman instead of the number one minutes he has played the last few seasons. Jackman is also prone to turnovers which really ruffles the feathers of a lot of Blues fans(myself included).

Overall he is a better player than fans on this board give him credit for(although I would guess it's really only about 20% of the fan base that represents 90% of the hate). I would like to see him stay in St. Louis going forward. The Blues will need veteran defensmen(they have a lot of young defensmen on the way) and Jackman fills that role quite nicely.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote