View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
This happened last night after the collision; a puck goes in the corner, I turn my head around to see who's coming in behind me as I glide into the corner to retrieve it, and I can see my opponents pulling up well before they get too close to me - either not to be too hard on the scrub (me) out of pity, or possibly because they're afraid of being injured themselves from my less than perfect control on the ice.

I am still very deeply mental in basketball mode, where contact is to be avoided 99.9% of the time - it would mean a foul. You knock someone over in b-ball, play stops and you lean forward with a hand to help them get up, and apologize.

That's why it's so easy to pick out new hockey players, regardless of their skating ability, they shy away from getting too close to other players who are chasing/have the puck.

It might take a few years of steady play, but I will try to mentally overcome this fear of touching anyone on the ice, and continue to move towards the puck. For the most part, it was my lack of speed that prevented me from arriving at the puck in a scrum, but it was also a little bit of "I can dive in there and possibly come up with it, but if I do I might injure someone" by being more aggressive.

Each time I've played, I've gotten a little bit more and more over this, but these collisions have shaken me.

While not as big as hockey68, I guess I have pretty good skate balance, because I have had several people just bounce off me like mosquitos...
I see a lot of noobs on the ice in a year and for me it is common for me to expect highsticking anywhere near a noob in the corners. Especially when they have a full face cage .... their arms come up to get rough in the corner like it is an NHL tryout or something. I go in with one hand in front of my face for pretection because I know it is coming almost every time. A player who knows what he is doing will let go of the stick with ONE HAND to defend someone from taking the puck from them but new players always have both hands clenched on the shaft at all times and is why you see guys open for passes and they miss it because they had the stick OFF the ice in both hands waist high.

I defend with one hand as well while backchecking, as soon as they feel a stick in there trying for the puck they throw you off of them with both hands on the stick instead of one hand free of their stick like people who know how to play do.

For example if I cut around someone they start backchecking and I have one hand still stickhandling and the other hand guarding their stick from the backcheck.

Guys new to the sport cannot help it usually except for the corner rough stuff, they see it on TV when watching their NHL team and think it is the way to play at pickup or shinny. it is acceptable in men's league though so there are places where it is okay.

The point being an experienced player will know they are coming up on a noob and will be cautious.

Just use common sense and watch what the experienced players do, they don't throw elbows in the corner fighting for a puck or throw a hit when someone else isn't expecting one.

Unfortunately one NEW guy got under my skin earlier this year with a hit behind the net. It was a friendly pickup and I was not expecting to be hit and was off balance trying not to hit HIM. We got at the puck at the same time and he decided not to let into me, so I chewed him hard about it and told him I can go throw some hits too if you want to play that way to let me know. I reminded him I only weighed 80 lbs more than him.

Some guys get it and some don't. Don't be one of those guys.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-28-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote