View Single Post
Old
03-28-2010, 11:41 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAJ View Post
Terrible Ted - Ultratalented cheap shot artist or old school, hard hockey superstar?
I don't see much difference in the two options. Like Nalyd said, players play in the era in which they play; certain guys will push the envelope wherever exactly that envelope is. But "pushing the envelope" isn't an accident -- it's not like Ted Lindsay (or Bobby Clarke or -- let's downgrade -- Sean Avery) was genetically pre-dispositioned to throw elbows and knee people. Playing hockey that way is a conscious decision that people make in order to influence the behavior of opponents.

I don't have science to back it up, but common sense suggests a forward who knows Scott Stevens is on the ice is more likely to chip the puck in instead of trying to skate with it, and he's going to extra-careful to avoid getting hit, potentially giving up on a play. For years, I had nightmares about Bryan Marchment cheap-shotting my beloved Dallas Stars stars, a nightmare that came to fruition multiple times and arguably cost us a Stanley Cup. Fact is, knowing a guy like that was following you into the boards, potentially with a target on your knee -- was going to make you less reluctant to out-race him to a loose puck.

If Lindsay was a cheap shot artist, he was playing in the same league as everybody else in his day. If he was the only one who thought to play dirty, then congratulate him for being a genius in a league of idiots. But we're talking about a guy who won an Art Ross trophy by 10 clear points over his more-famous linemate and finished top 10 a bunch of times. Lindsay used intimidation to great effect, but he fought quite a bit too, and backed it all up with scoring.

More than just a cheap-shot artist.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote