View Single Post
Old
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheLew View Post
Question #2, what is the general sentiment towards Paul Kariya, I realise he's grossly overpaid and having a rough season but what do you guys think of him?
Kariya has played quite well the last 30 games or so. He's shown speed we haven't seen and is making a difference both on the score sheet and in terms of creativity. The line with him, Backes and Oshie has been the top line and fun to watch. They have great chemistry.

I find myself grown cynical about Kariya and feel he's really putting extra effort because its pre-UFA-contract time for him. I doubt he cares whether he stays here or goes anywhere in particular. Its possible that what we're seeing is a guy that is finally really recovered from his hip surgeries and poised for a real comeback season next year.

Do the Blues have interest in re-signing him? I think if he'd play for $3M or less for a 2 year contract, I'd probably take him. It still feels like a gamble. Personally, I think he owes the Blues a friendly contract after ripping them off for most of $18M. I'm pretty curious what the open market will look like for him, but with his name and the end of the season run I'm sure some GM and fanbase somewhere will be willing to bid more than the Blues.

And I almost fear he WILL re-sign here and then go back into his contact-avoiding, invisible play for another 2 years.

Probably the biggest knock on Kariya is that I really don't think he provides any useful leadership to the team, and this is a team where that would have made a big difference. I really would like to know what the front office things of him, and the interest in bringing him back, but I'm pretty sure we'd all love to upgrade him to Kovalchuk. Its probably not going to happen, so what/who is Plan B? I wouldn't be shocked to find him getting offered another contract here, but its probably a mistake for the Blues to do it.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote