View Single Post
Old
09-27-2003, 05:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo6060
From what I saw of Locke today I didn't think he was slow. Some people, as far as I'm concerned, look at Locke with the eye of an eagle. And then, when he does one thing wrong jump on him and say he's not that good. It disgusts me. Locke is a very creative player who has lots of potential. I hate how everyone will always knock something about him just because they're looking for reasons to say he's not going to make it. Why not look at what he does good and talk about how great a finisher he is, or how talented a playmaker he is??? Is it so hard to give a compliment to a small player?

The tough part is seeing past what the player is doing now. Guy brings up a great point cause I completely agree that there are holes in the CHL rule. Locke is a good example. He looked good out ther today (I have to wait to see the game later on tape if someone I know taped it) but it doesn't matter how he looked today. The more important question, is how will his skating/speed translate at the next level? Locke may be doing himself a disservice by playing in the OHL against junior aged players, whereas if he were to play in the AHL this year, management/fans/Locke himself would have a better idea of how his skating/speed stacks up against men, thus setting the benchmark for how far he needs to progress/develop/train.

Getting faster, and stronger on his skates could take years (depending on various factors, genes, diet, workout program, mole. structure etc...) but playing in the OHL makes it very tough to say/judge/guage where Locke lies in terms of skating abilities and how har he has to go.