View Single Post
Old
02-11-2005, 04:08 PM
monkey_00*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder19
Let's say this year is a wash. And we have no idea when it will start up again. (next season or not) What do you guys think if the league started from scratch, be it "NHL2" or new league.

I guess the 1st question you might ask would be "How do we decipher what players are on which teams?"

Lets just say that all the teams that were in the "old NHL" transfer over to the "new NHL". And lets say there is or isn't a salary cap. I guess if you are looking at a new league that the players would agree to not have a cap. But how realistic may that be. Lets also say that there is some sort of cap.(40 million)
(with whatever stipulations there may be, revenue sharing...etc)

How about we have a huge draft with every NHL player available. And the order of the picking is in reference to whenever the team came into the league. So senior teams would have some advantage (their reward for being along for so long) So right off the bat Toronto or Montreal would have 1st pick. Maybe they could flip a coin to see who gets 1st pick. And it would go so on and so on. The last pick would go to Columbus, I believe. The order would go, 1 through 30, than start again.

Do you guys think that there should be a cap for this "new league"? This way the teams could be more evenly balenced (hopefully).

Anyways it was just something that I was thinking about. Obviously there would have to be a lot more to it, but I thought what the hay. Some people might get a kick out of it.

Cheers.
--------------

Vedder19........

This is a great idea for a thread.........there's so many ideas that come to mind if we were to start out with a new Hockey League........and the more I think about it the more I like the idea........the NHLPA doesn't want to agree to a salary cap BUT if they scrap the League and start anew with a new League name then there goes the NHLPA right?........maybe the stronger organizations of the old NHL would form the core of the new Hockey League.......the stronger teams would include teams from the Original 6 (Toronto-Montreal-Detroit-Chicago-Boston-NY Rangers) as well as 6 more clubs.....the next set of 6 clubs I would include Philly, Colorado, Dallas, Atlanta, L.A. and maybe Vancouver...........as it stands now in today's NHL 30-teams are too much.........for me 20 is a good number...and no more than that.........

Next..........this new League could be called "the Global Hockey League"...........the new League would have a Salary cap of $25-million per club excluding the highest payed player on the team............for example if your team is Colrado and signs Joe Sakic to a $8-million contract and is the highest payed player on that club he is excluded from their salary cap..........every other player's salary on the AVS combined cannot total more than $25-million..........

Next...........There will also be a European division.........the North American teams never play against the European teams during the regular season........the winner of North America plays the winner of Europe in the Finals of the Global Hockey League..............in time they may want to have some games during the regular season where teams from North America go up against teams from Europe no more than maybe 5-times yealry (limited)..............

Next..........the teams from the old NHL that survive and form the new "Global Hockey League" get to keep the same players they had when they were part of the NHL.............players that played in the old NHL on teams that didn't survive and form the new "Global Hockey League" get thrown into a Pool and a draft is held where the clubs from the new League take turns selecting players that use to play for teams that are now defunct......some examples of players that could be available in this draft include: Miro Satan (BUF), Rick Nash (CLB), Roberto Luongo (FLA), Ryan Smyth (EDM), etc, etc,.......the order of this draft will be determined in a lottery format............

Next............There will no longer be tied games........we will have only winners and losers...........a 5-minute overtime session is held and if after the 5-minutes the game is still tied we then go to a shootout to decide on a winner...........

Next..........the standard size ice rink of the NHL is 200-by-85 feet...........if any of the Rinks in this new "Global Hockey League" are capable of icing an Olympic-sized rink then that will be the size of rink that team will use........if the team can only supply for themselves a rink size of 200-by-85 feet then that will be their ice rink size........that means teams will be able to build clubs that cater and take advantage of the teams ice rink size.......for example: If your rink is Olympic-sized you will aim to build a team that is a great skating one.........and If your team plays in a rink 200-by-85 then you will aim to build your team as a physical one that likes to play along the boards......this will then give true meaning to "Home ice advantage"..........If Major League Baseball allows their teams to have different sized playing fields then Hockey should be able to do the same and have their teams play in whatever sized ice rink they want.......

Last but not least.........No Gary Betttman and Bob Gooden in this new Global Hockey League.