View Single Post
Old
03-30-2010, 03:04 AM
alternate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post

And that's why spending $200K on a minor leaguer that may have an outside chance of making it, but could be a helpful addition to their development system in Manitoba, is worth it.
these signings also (potentially) bring intangibles to the dressing room, which is always a bonus. it's been posted a few times how one of them won an award given for "character" and the other went to Brown. Obviously I'm not saying they'll come in and be leaders in the dressing room as professional rookies, but I'd bet Gilllis and co. spoke with both coaches and heard things like "good work ethic" "leadership" etc.

It's never a bad thing to add character players to your organization, at whatever level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
Once again, I know they can probably afford it, even if you can afford it though, no one likes to waste cash, the question is does a player of Volpatti's calibre really deserve it, I think not, especially not over some guy who has been playing pro in Europe and playing better than Volpatti has ever shown.
agreed. who'd you have in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Again, I'm not saying this isn't an avenue to be explored.

But you have to be careful you don't end up paying so much that the signing ends up defeating its purpose.

You want to sign/develop young players so you get quality cheap assets.

If you pay huge tickets for them right off the rattle, you're losing that advantage.
the fact that we miss out on as many guys we have interest in as we land suggests GMMG has a pretty definite line drawn in the sand as to what he'll offer any particular UDFA.

so far he hasn't over committed in cap hit or term with any of the signings imo. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned that any college UFAs will hamper future roster moves because of their cap hit.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote